Skip to main content

On grief

This is something I wrote in early 2017 and lightly edited this week.


I'm fine. I'm fine. I'm fine.

How are things?

Good! Well, you know...not really. I mean pretty good, considering.

Those conversations I can handle, but my least favorite bits are the silences after a few minutes. Maybe I explained how mom was doing or how he died for the morbidly curious. The platitudes and the chit chat is done and there's just silence. I didn't know it at first, but I've slowly learned that this is where people feel something profound is supposed to go. Something the movies taught us has to happen, it's right there in the script. You're supposed to provide the neat bow on the tire fire that is your emotional state to assure all present that "everything happens for a reason" or "every cloud has a silver lining".


I hate that silence.

I wish I could say that I hope you never have to experience grief, but obviously that's impossible. Something tragic will happen to you and you will be sad at some point in your life. Now I could say that I hope your loved one is able to gently and painlessly drift away, surrounded by loved ones and sharing their best drinking story and deeply held feelings with you. That's improbable though.


My dad's death was an absolute shock that cut me to my core. It didn't break me though, and that's probably thanks to him. Grief is a weird, multifaceted thing. It's strange enough that we have one word to describe a process that is so often entirely different for two people. If I had to give advice, I'd say:


1) Feel your feelings.

The stages of grief aren't a real thing. Yes you'll probably experience a gamut of emotions, but there is no linear path. I've felt anger. Anger at every frumpy and bored looking father I saw while struggling to get home. Anger at the fact that this asshole yelling at his kids gets to be alive while mine is shuffled of to the morgue. It's not rational, but it's also not fair. My dad was great and this schmuck gets to drag his suitcase around the Dublin airport?

I've felt numb. Not in denial, but just able to wall off a part of me to get through the day. Those were the scariest times.


And I've felt sadness to a depth I didn't know existed. Cried more than my entire life put together. Ann had never seen me cry before and it was a running joke. Careful what you wish for!


2) Find someone to be honest with about those feelings.

Grief is lonely. Most people around you will know the rough outline of what happened, but not bring it up. A few close friends will offer "if you need anything..." type sentiments. You're not alone, but also you totally are if you let yourself. Find someone that you can tell everything to at a moment's notice and tell them how you want them to respond. I told Ann every time I cried just so she knew where I was at and how I really was. Otherwise you get stuck in the loop above. There's an elephant in the room and you don't want to bring it up cause it's a real bummer, so you leave a lot of things unspoken.

(PS -- From the 2018 me: If you need anything, I'd love to be that person for you. There's a weird shitty club of people you know that have lost parents. Sorry but membership is pretty much mandatory. We meet on Tuesdays. Carol brings snacks sometimes.)


3) Don't expect to wake up "better" one day.
You will one day and then slide right back the next. It's a weight that sits on you now. A concrete vest that's always there. One day it's so heavy and smothering you don't know how you can even manage to get out of bed. On better days it's a reminder that your dad's there and he loved you and you better not forget it or he'll give you something to cry about.

4) "What now?"

This step only comes later, when you've leveled off a bit, pulled your head out of the weeds, and asked the inevitable: "what now?" Now you start to live your life again. I don't want to be too pat here, but you really should go and listen to this podcast episode by Malcom Gladwell, which he closes by saying:
I took my father’s presence for granted for as long as he was alive and when he died, the first shocking realization was that I had to find a way to keep him alive in my heart, to honor his memory. How do we do that? Not by honoring our parents’ beliefs; we are different people than they are, born in different eras, shaped by different forces. What we are obliged to honor in our parents is their principles, the rules by which they lived their lives ...There is something impossibly beautiful about that act. In my grief, it has given me solace.
My father was an evangelical republican that spent the latter half of his career building coal plants. We did not see eye-to-eye on plenty. I will not be carrying on his specific beliefs, but I hope to carry on a lot more of his principles in the world. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Fine Mom, Thanks for Asking

I've been thinking a lot about nuclear war lately, but that seems far too dark for the moment. In some ways I want this blog to reflect how I'm feeling at 28 as a time capsule for myself to look back on years later. The issue is that I'm only really drawn to scribble something down when I'm feeling particularly morose. When I'm out having fun and living life I'm just too busy to come tell the internet all about it. Then whenever the other shoe drops and I start think about how long we've had nuclear weapons and isn't it crazy that they've only been used twice? How much longer can we keep that streak going, huh? Nuclear arms are over 70 years old and our policy is to tell other people, "please don't build them. pls." Then all of a sudden I have to come and hammer out a depressing 1,000 words about nuclear winter. Well I ain't doing that today, chumps! Lately I'm just really content. Not happy daily or satisfied with where I am,

Stop the ride I'd like to get off

Man, I really wanted this to be a light-hearted update about dumb things in my life that I enjoy. I'm less motivated to bang out a bunch of words about how neat Sonos speakers are since Ann was just diagnosed (or almost diagnosed) with a heart condition. Rad! We're past the really scary part of her collapsing and not knowing what was going on. Definitely in the "where do we go from here" phase. Or the "isn't it ironic that your sudden commitment to exercise and healthy living almost killed you" phase.  On top of everything else we also got the chance to be parents for 3 days, the details of which I might go into down the road when I'm sure that particular story has a happy ending. Suffice to say life is still coming at us all at once and from all angles. I'm a deeply pragmatic person. Whatever situation I'm in I can take in the basic facts, integrate them, and choose the best path forward. I do freeze in the initial moments though, and

Trump wants to overturn birthright citizenship

There are three types of racists in the world right now: 1) Your tiki torch march for hate kinda racists 2) Your overturn constitutional law by executive fiat to keep out brown people kinda racists 3) Your shrug and accept that this is your team and you’ll stick by ‘em kinda racists I swear to god I think I respect the first group more for at least being honest about who they are and what they want. If you vote straight ticket republican in November, I know by your works exactly where you stand. I hope Jesus finds you lukewarm and spits you out when you get to heaven. ---------------- As an oddly timed side note I'd like to keep this blog going with a decidedly less heavy-handed self-editing mode. In thinking about why I even started this blog years ago and why I would want to keep this going I couldn't come up with a good answer. Blogs are such a weirdly anachronistic appendix of the digital world. They don't really have a place because it's a diary t