Skip to main content

Trump wants to overturn birthright citizenship

There are three types of racists in the world right now:

1) Your tiki torch march for hate kinda racists

2) Your overturn constitutional law by executive fiat to keep out brown people kinda racists

3) Your shrug and accept that this is your team and you’ll stick by ‘em kinda racists

I swear to god I think I respect the first group more for at least being honest about who they are and what they want. If you vote straight ticket republican in November, I know by your works exactly where you stand. I hope Jesus finds you lukewarm and spits you out when you get to heaven.

----------------

As an oddly timed side note I'd like to keep this blog going with a decidedly less heavy-handed self-editing mode. In thinking about why I even started this blog years ago and why I would want to keep this going I couldn't come up with a good answer. Blogs are such a weirdly anachronistic appendix of the digital world. They don't really have a place because it's a diary that, in theory, contains your emotional state and unpopular opinions left bare for someone to dig up years later and club you over the head with (hence the self-editing).

I'm keeping it going now mostly because I'd like to have an honest accounting of me for my kids some day. No, Ann's not pregnant. Stop. But when I think about the pieces of my dad that I have left it's such an odd assemblage of voicemails and memories and trinkets that it's impossible to keep more than a fuzzy outline of him around. I'm not promising daily updates or anything, but I'd like them to know what I liked and what I disliked. Who I knew, what I read, and what got me up in the morning.

Also though, I think we live in really interesting times and I fucking hate it. It's the worst. Today I woke up, told a robot lady to play the news and she informed me that the president wants to overturn birthright citizenship by executive order. I'm pretty numb to this kind of inane bullshit but this one got me, hence the post above. Someday people will ask me what it is like to live in 2018 and I don't want to have the benefit of hindsight to sand off the rough edges of how awful and angry and racist and scary this time in America was. The myth of progress is tearing us at the seams because people seem to think you can be passive as we backslide into darker days. Well, let this be a record of that backslide. But also pictures of Cassie and a good life scratched out underneath these dark skies.

I have some other drafts I'll publish in the coming days, hopefully I can find time to write about something other than politics.

PS - For the record I'm damning lukewarm christians to an eternal damnation that I don't really believe exists. Jesus seems cool and all but his friends suuuuuuuuck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Fine Mom, Thanks for Asking

I've been thinking a lot about nuclear war lately, but that seems far too dark for the moment. In some ways I want this blog to reflect how I'm feeling at 28 as a time capsule for myself to look back on years later. The issue is that I'm only really drawn to scribble something down when I'm feeling particularly morose. When I'm out having fun and living life I'm just too busy to come tell the internet all about it. Then whenever the other shoe drops and I start think about how long we've had nuclear weapons and isn't it crazy that they've only been used twice? How much longer can we keep that streak going, huh? Nuclear arms are over 70 years old and our policy is to tell other people, "please don't build them. pls." Then all of a sudden I have to come and hammer out a depressing 1,000 words about nuclear winter. Well I ain't doing that today, chumps! Lately I'm just really content. Not happy daily or satisfied with where I am,

Stop the ride I'd like to get off

Man, I really wanted this to be a light-hearted update about dumb things in my life that I enjoy. I'm less motivated to bang out a bunch of words about how neat Sonos speakers are since Ann was just diagnosed (or almost diagnosed) with a heart condition. Rad! We're past the really scary part of her collapsing and not knowing what was going on. Definitely in the "where do we go from here" phase. Or the "isn't it ironic that your sudden commitment to exercise and healthy living almost killed you" phase.  On top of everything else we also got the chance to be parents for 3 days, the details of which I might go into down the road when I'm sure that particular story has a happy ending. Suffice to say life is still coming at us all at once and from all angles. I'm a deeply pragmatic person. Whatever situation I'm in I can take in the basic facts, integrate them, and choose the best path forward. I do freeze in the initial moments though, and