Skip to main content

Ramen Taught me to Cook


Recently I read a blog by a pretty popular homebrewer about how he uses miller light to test new varieties of hops before throwing them into full batches of beer. Using a bland, familiar base to become acquainted with an unknown variable seemed like a brilliant idea to me and I made a quick note to try this out some time. A few days later it dawned on me that this is precisely the method I used to work my way through my mother's spice rack as a teen.

When my friend Dustin was visiting a few weeks ago he kept poking me about how I plan meals, how I think about cooking, and why I wasn't using a recipe. As usual, I shrugged and probably gave an unhelpful and sarcastic answer. I have a few good cookbooks (Joy of Cooking is my jam) and obviously an internet brimming with shitty advice, but mostly this goes ignored or lightly-referenced. There are a handful of tried-and-true recipes that Ann has faithfully transcribed but I couldn't tell you where she keeps "our" cookbook. When I'm in the kitchen, it's like a sloppier version of lab Bryan. Constant experimentation and trial and error both in cooking methods and spices used, which has only grown exponentially with this weird gardening kick I've been on lately. Seasoning my tomato sauce or sauteed vegetables pretty much depends on what looks bushy on my porch, or what I know works with zucchini. I guess my cooking modus operandi is essentially as a mad scientist who should really write more down.

That was certainly how it started out. I would have to feed myself lunch most summer days from my family's immensely overstocked kitchen with very little oversight and almost no knowledge of basic cooking techniques. I don't think I even liked onions at this point. Looking back now, I realize that you pretty much can't make shit without onions.

So I made ramen.

I don't know how quickly you moved out of your ramen phase, but if you're like most normal adults it's probably been awhile. Ramen gets old fast, so I had to be resourceful. I'd tear through and de-alphabetize our spice rack until I tried every sad, crusted McCormick's spice we owned. Then I'd move through the fridge and pantry to utilize odd leftovers or canned tuna. I ate some really terrible soup most days. But some days I made something decent, or at least edible, learning my likes and dislikes as well as pairings that were appealing. None of this was particularly conscious I suppose, considering I'd never considered the implications of these shenanigans until recently but I think it left a lasting impact nevertheless. The more basic varieties of ramen are simply cheap noodles plus cheap stock in the form of bullion powder. It's a 25 cent essence of any soup out there.

I never would have thought cloves and beef broth belonged in the same pot together, and yet it's the base for every stew I've made since. Same goes for thyme and chicken. Perhaps more imporantly, the low-rent broth is so familiar it can be ignored in favor of herbs I have no experience with and am not sure why they ended up in my cart or garden. Siam queen basil and lemon balm sound nice enough, but I'd have to blow a pot of soup to find out if I'm right or not. Unless of course that soup cost about as much as the water that went into it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Fine Mom, Thanks for Asking

I've been thinking a lot about nuclear war lately, but that seems far too dark for the moment. In some ways I want this blog to reflect how I'm feeling at 28 as a time capsule for myself to look back on years later. The issue is that I'm only really drawn to scribble something down when I'm feeling particularly morose. When I'm out having fun and living life I'm just too busy to come tell the internet all about it. Then whenever the other shoe drops and I start think about how long we've had nuclear weapons and isn't it crazy that they've only been used twice? How much longer can we keep that streak going, huh? Nuclear arms are over 70 years old and our policy is to tell other people, "please don't build them. pls." Then all of a sudden I have to come and hammer out a depressing 1,000 words about nuclear winter. Well I ain't doing that today, chumps! Lately I'm just really content. Not happy daily or satisfied with where I am,

Stop the ride I'd like to get off

Man, I really wanted this to be a light-hearted update about dumb things in my life that I enjoy. I'm less motivated to bang out a bunch of words about how neat Sonos speakers are since Ann was just diagnosed (or almost diagnosed) with a heart condition. Rad! We're past the really scary part of her collapsing and not knowing what was going on. Definitely in the "where do we go from here" phase. Or the "isn't it ironic that your sudden commitment to exercise and healthy living almost killed you" phase.  On top of everything else we also got the chance to be parents for 3 days, the details of which I might go into down the road when I'm sure that particular story has a happy ending. Suffice to say life is still coming at us all at once and from all angles. I'm a deeply pragmatic person. Whatever situation I'm in I can take in the basic facts, integrate them, and choose the best path forward. I do freeze in the initial moments though, and

Trump wants to overturn birthright citizenship

There are three types of racists in the world right now: 1) Your tiki torch march for hate kinda racists 2) Your overturn constitutional law by executive fiat to keep out brown people kinda racists 3) Your shrug and accept that this is your team and you’ll stick by ‘em kinda racists I swear to god I think I respect the first group more for at least being honest about who they are and what they want. If you vote straight ticket republican in November, I know by your works exactly where you stand. I hope Jesus finds you lukewarm and spits you out when you get to heaven. ---------------- As an oddly timed side note I'd like to keep this blog going with a decidedly less heavy-handed self-editing mode. In thinking about why I even started this blog years ago and why I would want to keep this going I couldn't come up with a good answer. Blogs are such a weirdly anachronistic appendix of the digital world. They don't really have a place because it's a diary t